Vision & Mission
To be a world class educational and research institution contributing significantly to the Space Endeavours.
Create a unique learning environment enriched by the challenges of the Space Programme.
Nurture the spirit of innovation and creativity.
Establish Centres of Excellence in niche areas.
Provide ethical and value based education.
Promote activities to address societal needs.
Network with national and international institutions of repute.
The major milestones accomplished since the beginning are as given below:
- Approval of Space Commission received on November 8, 2006.
- The Institute was registered as a Society under Travancore-Cochin Societies Registration Act on 3-01-2007.
- The Union Cabinet approved setting up of the Institute, on April 26, 2007.
- The Institute was inaugurated on 14th September 2007.
- MHRD/UGC and AICTE granted sanction for the Institute to function as ‘Deemed to be University’ vide Notification:No.F.9-16/2007-U.3(A) dated 3rd July 2008.
- Dr A.P.J. Abdul Kalam appointed as Chancellor, IIST.
- Institute’s Campus at Valiamala inauguarated on 25th August 2009 by Hon’ble Prime Minister of India.
- Foundation stone laid for Space Science Complex at Ponmudi by the Principal Secretary to Prime Minister of India on 31st October 2009.
- Institute’s Campus at Valiamala started functioning as a full fledged learning-centre from 16th August 2010.