Dr. Adimurthy took his Ph.D. in 1973 from the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur in the field of Rarefied Hypersonic Flows.
Since 1973, as a Scientist at the Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, he has contributed in the areas of aerodynamics and space dynamics. He published more than 100 research papers in reputed archival journals and national and international conferences.
Dr. V. Adimurthy is presently the Associate Director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, Trivandrum.
- Dr. Adimurthy received the 1997 Astronautical Society of India Award for his Contributions to Rocket Technology.
- He is a Distinguished Visiting Professor of the Indian National Academy of Engineering.
- Since 1999, he represented ISRO/India at the IADC, the International Agency for Space Debris Coordination and he was its Chairman during 2003-2004.
- Dr. Adimurthy is a member of the National Task Force that defined the Indian Lunar Mission. He is also a member of the committee to prepare the ISRO vision document for planetary exploration.
- He is a Fellow of the Aeronautical Society of India, Fellow of Systems Society of India and Fellow of the Society for Shock Wave Research.
- He is a Fellow of the Alexander Von Humboldt Foundation, Germany and contributed as a visiting scientist at the University of Stuttgart during 1979-80, 1999-2000, and 2004.
- Dr. Adimurthy received the National Aeronautical Prize in 2005 for his contributions to Indian Lunar mission and Launch Vehicle Design.