Founder Director (2007 - 2010)
Dr. Byrana Nagappa Suresh, an aerospace scientist. served as the first Director of IIST. He was the Director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC), Thiruvananthapuram during the period 2003-2007. He is known for his contribution to Space Capsule Recovery Experiments (SRE). He retired from IIST in November 2010. Presently he is serving as Vikram Sarabhai Distinguished Professor at ISRO Headquarters since November 2010. He was also distinguished Professor at IIT, Mumbai and MIT, Manipal.
He has been honoured with several awards for his significant contributions in the field of Space Technology.
- Padma Bhushan (2013)
- Padma Shri (2002)
- Distinguished Alumni Award - IIT Madras (2004).
- Dr.Biren Roy Space Science and/or Design Award, 1993 by the Aeronautical Society of India.
- ASI Award 1996, for Rocket & Related Technologies, by Astronautical Society of India, 1996
- “AGNI” Award for excellence in Self Reliance by Defence Research & Development Laboratory, Ministry Of Defence in 1999.
- “Ramanujam Memorial Award” PSG Coimbatore at National System Conference, 2005
- “Technical Excellence award’ by Lions International, Trivandrum, Jan 2006
- “Outstanding Achievement Award” by Indian Space Research Organisation in June 2007.
- “Lifetime Achievement Award” by Indian National Academy of Engineering, INAE) Delhi, in Dec 2007
- “National Systems Gold Medal” for lifetime contributions for large Systems by System Society of India in Dec 2007.
- “Aryabhata Award” for excellent contributions in space technology by Astronautical society of India,for 2009
Dr. K. S. Dasgupta
Dr. K. S. Dasgupta took over as the second director of IIST in December 2010. Prior to this he was holding the post of Director, Development & Educational Communication Unit-DECU-ISRO since March’08 and also holding the post of Deputy Director-SNPA (SatCom Navigation Payload Area) of Space Application Centre (ISRO), Ahmedabad.
He joined the Indian Space Research Organization in 1974. He retired from IIST in June 2016.
- Dr. Dasgupta did his postgraduate degree in Computer Sciences from Jadavpur University and obtained his doctoral degree in Electrical Engineering from IIT Bombay, Mumbai. His area of research includes Digital Signal & Image Processing, Digital Communication, Computer Networking, and Satellite Communication. He has published several papers in his area of research.
- As the Director, DECU he lead a group of engineers, producers, social research scientists who were involved in design, configuration and installation of EDUSAT Tele-education and Tele-medicine network, content generation for Tele-education and Science mission, study the social impact of EDUSAT and SATCOM network for social applications.
- As the Deputy Director, Satcom Navigation Payload Area (SNPA) area he was involved in the design and development of
- Communication Transponders for GEOSAT Programme
- Ground systems and on-board processing system (Digital Subsystems & RF front end) for IRNSS Programme.
- Application Projects like Disaster Management Systems, Satellite based Ground Communication Systems.
- Technology transfer to indian industries
- Technology development programme
- SAC-ISRO institutional collaboration programme
- He is associated with many professional institutions such as
- Senior member IEEE
- Fellow IETE
- Life member of Computer Society of India.